University of Innsbruck - Innsbruck, Austria
apply before May 3, 2023
Tasks: Education, IT & Programming, Research
Topics: Circularity, Digitalization, Urban Transformation
Experience required: Experienced
Language: English is sufficient
The University of Innsbruck (German: Leopold-Franzens-Universität Innsbruck) is one of the major Austrian universities and has been founded in 1669. It is currently the largest research and education institution in Tyrol and third largest in Austria according to student population. Four researchers at the University of Innsbruck were distinguished as nobel laureates.
University Assistant (PhD position)
- PhD thesis in the field of contemporary landscape architecture and biodigital design.
- Independent research within the Synthetic Landscape Lab. Independent and collaborative teaching in the field of landscape architecture.
- Contribution to the publication of research results.
- Assisting in the effective operation of the digital prototyping facilities and the Synthetic Landscape Lab.
- Contribution to the organization of scientific events and research exhibitions.
- Participation in relevant training programs and conferences.
- Organizational and administrative activities.
It is timely within the Anthropocene era, more than ever before, to search for a non-anthropocentric mode of reasoning, and consequently designing. The Synthetic Landscape Lab, founded in 2017, has therefore been pursuing architecture as a research-based practice, exploring the interdependence of digital and biological intelligence in design by working directly with non-human living organisms.
The research focuses on the diagrammatic capacity of these organisms in the process of growing and becoming part of complex bio-digital architectures. A key remit is training architects’ sensibility at recognizing patterns of reasoning across disciplines, materiality, and technological regimes, thus expanding the practice’s repertoire of aesthetic qualities.